Students will learn from communication professionals how new technology can be used to enhance storytelling and reporting. For example, students will practice using simple game design coding to develop an interactive story. Participants will also use 360-degree cameras for a reporting project, and explore how drones can be used in storytelling. Licensed drone pilots will explain to students rules and regulations for using drones and discuss ethical concerns about their use.
- 2019 Session: July 8-12
Typical Daily Schedule
While no two days are alike, they are designed to give you the best journalistic experience you can have while at IU.
- Day 1
- Noon to 2:30 p.m.: Check in at residence hall
- 3-5 p.m.: Instructional sessions
- 5-7 p.m.: Tour of instructional areas, dinner with floormates and counselors
- 7-9:30 p.m.: Instructional sessions and residence hall orientation
- 11:30 p.m.: Lights out
- Days 2-4
- 8:30-11:30 a.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 1:30-4 p.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 4-5:30 p.m.: Recreational programs led by counselors
- 7-9 p.m.: Enrichment sessions, one-on-one meetings with instructors
- Day 5
- 8:30-10:30 a.m.: Publication Day
- 11 a.m. to noon: Awards ceremony (friends and family welcome)
- Noon: Check out and workshop departure
- See more student workshops.
- Check out awards.
- Read about housing, fees and meals.
- Learn about available scholarships.
- Contact HSJI Administrative Services Coordinator Linda J. Johnson at 812-855-0895 or e-mail her.