Introduction to Documentary Filmmaking
This workshop combines in-class instruction with hands-on experience in non-fiction storytelling. Students will learn camera techniques, sound recording and design, and digital editing skills. They will practice forming visual stories using a combination of interviews, auxiliary footage, and natural audio. Working in teams, students will produce a short documentary film that showcases their visual storytelling skills.
HSJI’s documentary filmmaking workshops are for students who are interested in film or journalism careers or who work with digital or broadcast student media at their schools.
- 2022 Session: July 11-15
Typical Daily Schedule
While no two days are alike, they are designed to give you the best journalistic experience you can have while at IU.
- Day 1
- Noon to 2:30 p.m.: Check in at residence hall
- 3-5 p.m.: Instructional sessions
- 5-7 p.m.: Tour of instructional areas, dinner with floormates and counselors
- 7-9:30 p.m.: Instructional sessions and residence hall orientation
- 11:30 p.m.: Lights out
- Days 2-4
- 8:30-11:30 a.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 1:30-4 p.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 4-5:30 p.m.: Recreational programs led by counselors
- 7-9 p.m.: Enrichment sessions, one-on-one meetings with instructors
- Day 5
- 8:30-10:30 a.m.: Publication Day
- 11 a.m. to noon: Awards ceremony (friends and family welcome)
- Noon: Check out and workshop departure
- See more student workshops.
- Check out awards.
- Read about housing, fees and meals.
- Learn about available scholarships.
- Contact HSJI Administrative Services Coordinator Linda J. Johnson at 812-855-0895 or e-mail her.