Investigative Journalism Fundamentals
If you want to take your journalistic skill-set to a higher level and do more than routine he said-she said stories, this workshop on the craft of investigative reporting is for you.
This course will ground you in the heritage, tools and techniques of investigative and in-depth reporting. You will learn the practical skills of the investigative journalist by studying professional investigative work and by putting your own investigative digging skills to work.
Over the course of the workshop, you will learn to conduct backgrounding work using public records, to cultivate sources, to find and analyze data, and finally to tell a compelling investigative story.
- 2022 Sessions: July 11-15
Typical Daily Schedule
While no two days are alike, they are designed to give you the best journalistic experience you can have while at IU.
- Day 1
- Noon to 2:30 p.m.: Check in at residence hall
- 3-5 p.m.: Instructional sessions
- 5-7 p.m.: Tour of instructional areas, dinner with floormates and counselors
- 7-9:30 p.m.: Instructional sessions and residence hall orientation
- 11:30 p.m.: Lights out
- Days 2-4
- 8:30-11:30 a.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 1:30-4 p.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 4-5:30 p.m.: Recreational programs led by counselors
- 7-9 p.m.: Enrichment sessions, one-on-one meetings with instructors
- Day 5
- 8:30-10:30 a.m.: Publication Day
- 11 a.m. to noon: Awards ceremony (friends and family welcome)
- Noon: Check out and workshop departure
- See more student workshops.
- Check out awards.
- Read about housing, fees and meals.
- Learn about available scholarships.
- Contact HSJI Administrative Services Coordinator Linda J. Johnson at 812-855-0895 or e-mail her.