This workshop is designed for students who will serve as photojournalists or photo editors for a student media staff. Some photography and Photoshop experience is highly recommended. Participants learn how to cover events, make environmental portraits, shoot action photos and make photo stories. Consequently, students who complete this workshop should be prepared to produce sports photos, feature photos and news photos for student media at their schools. This session emphasizes the reporting skills needed by photojournalists and the best practices used by professionals.
We recommend photojournalists bring a digital SLR camera with manual override. If one is not available, they may borrow one from The Media School.
- 2023 Sessions: July 10-14
Typical Daily Schedule
While no two days are alike, they are designed to give you the best journalistic experience you can have while at IU.
- Day 1
- Noon to 2:30 p.m.: Check in at residence hall
- 3-5 p.m.: Instructional sessions
- 5-7 p.m.: Tour of instructional areas, dinner with floormates and counselors
- 7-9:30 p.m.: Instructional sessions and residence hall orientation
- 11:30 p.m.: Lights out
- Days 2-4
- 8:30-11:30 a.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 1:30-4 p.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 4-5:30 p.m.: Recreational programs led by counselors
- 7-9 p.m.: Enrichment sessions, one-on-one meetings with instructors
- Day 5
- 8:30-10:30 a.m.: Publication Day
- 11 a.m. to noon: Awards ceremony (friends and family welcome)
- Noon: Check out and workshop departure
- See more student workshops.
- Check out awards.
- Read about housing, fees and meals.
- Learn about available scholarships.
- Contact HSJI Administrative Services Coordinator Linda J. Johnson at 812-855-0895 or e-mail her.