Interested in exploring the world of sportscasting? Our workshop offers on-camera experience, including anchoring and on-camera panel discussions, as well as skills such as broadcast writing, sports reporting and editing, and podcasting.
You’ll have the chance to interview Indiana University athletics staff and athletes, then use your footage to create a story. You’ll also try out the anchor desk in The Media School’s Beckley Studio.
You’ll learn how to engage with cameras and transition through segments, and you’ll receive feedback from faculty and students at The Media School’s sports media program.
You may take this five-day session as a standalone, or you may combine it with the Reporting and Writing’s sports workshop, offered July 11-15. This workshop is for students who need to learn the basics of sports writing and reporting.
- The 2022 sportscasting workshop is July 17-21.
- Maximum enrollment is 16.
Typical daily schedule for students in the Sportscasting workshop:
Sunday, July 17
- 3 p.m. Opening session
- 3:30 – 5 p.m. Introductions/get acquainted
- 5 – 6:30 p.m. Dinner
- 7 – 8:30 p.m. Camera training
- 9 p.m. Required meeting with counselors
Monday, July 18
- 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. Shooting and editing video
- 1:30 – 4 p.m. On-camera sessions in TV studio
Tuesday, July 19
- 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. Social media content development
- 1:30 – 4 p.m. Podcasting
Wednesday, July 20
- 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. Athletics and Cuban Center facilities tour
- 1:30 – 4 p.m. Prepare sports segment for TV news show
Thursday, July 21
- 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. Record sports news segment in TV studio
- 11 a.m. – noon Awards program
- See more student workshops.
- Check out awards.
- Read about housing, fees and meals.
- Learn about available scholarships.
- Contact HSJI Administrative Services Coordinator Linda J. Johnson at 812-855-0895 or e-mail her.