This workshop prepares student editors to lead their staffs, whether for print or online publications. Participants will develop a sense of news judgment and practice decision-making as they collaborate to write, edit and design story packages. Students will also develop plans for effective staff organization and motivation plus explore legal and ethical issues relevant to student media.
2020 Session: July 6-10
For which lab should I register?
- Editors-in-chief: for experienced journalists who will be editor or managing editor
- Section/page editors: for news, opinion and assistant editors
Typical Daily Schedule
While no two days are alike, they are designed to give you the best journalistic experience you can have while at IU.
- Day 1
- Noon to 2:30 p.m.: Check in at residence hall
- 3-5 p.m.: Instructional sessions
- 5-7 p.m.: Tour of instructional areas, dinner with floormates and counselors
- 7-9:30 p.m.: Instructional sessions and residence hall orientation
- 11:30 p.m.: Lights out
- Days 2-4
- 8:30-11:30 a.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 1:30-4 p.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 4-5:30 p.m.: Recreational programs led by counselors
- 7-9 p.m.: Enrichment sessions, one-on-one meetings with instructors
- Day 5
- 8:30-10:30 a.m.: Publication Day
- 11 a.m. to noon: Awards ceremony (friends and family welcome)
- Noon: Check out and workshop departure
- See more student workshops.
- Check out awards.
- Read about housing, fees and meals.
- Learn about available scholarships.
- Contact HSJI Administrative Services Coordinator Linda J. Johnson at 812-855-0895 or e-mail her.