Interested in exploring the world of sportscasting? Our mini-workshop offers on-camera experience, including anchoring and on-camera panel discussions, as well as skills such as broadcast writing, sports reporting and editing, and podcasting.
You’ll have the chance to interview Indiana University athletics staff and athletes, then use your footage to create a story. You’ll also try out the anchor desk in The Media School’s new Beckley Studio.
You’ll learn how to engage with cameras and transition through segments, and you’ll receive feedback from faculty and students at The Media School’s sports media program.
You may take this three-day session as a standalone, or you may combine it with the Reporting and Writing’s sports workshop, offered July 8-12. This workshop is for students who need learn the basics of sports writing and reporting.
You might also like to pair the Sportscasting workshop with the HSJI Newsroom workshop July 14-18. The Newsroom is designed for more experienced students who enjoy working in teams to produce various forms of journalism.
- The 2019 sportscasting mini-workshop is July 12-14.
- Maximum enrollment is 16.
- Cost is $285 for the mini-workshop, which includes a shared room, a $50 meal card, instruction and supervision.
Here’s a tentative schedule:
Friday, July 12
- Noon Check in at Spruce Hall
- 1:30 p.m. Orientation Meeting at Franklin Hall
- 2 – 3 p.m. Camera training and broadcasting workshop
- 3 – 5 p.m. Video and interview session at Mark Cuban Center
- 5:30 p.m. Dinner
Saturday, July 13
- 9 – 10 a.m. Script writing workshop
- 10 a.m. – noon Beckley Studio on-camera workshop
- Noon Lunch
- 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. Sports research & composition workshop
- 2:30 – 3 p.m. Audio Editing workshop
- 3 – 3:30 p.m. Video Editing workshop
- 4 – 4:30 p.m. Podcast development workshop
- 4:30 – 6 p.m. Podcast recording
Sunday, July 14
- 9 – 11 a.m. Video Package workshop
- Noon Check out with floor counselor
- See more student workshops.
- Check out awards.
- Read about housing, fees and meals.
- Learn about available scholarships.
- Contact HSJI Administrative Services Coordinator Linda J. Johnson at 812-855-0895 or e-mail her.