Interested in exploring the world of sportscasting? Our workshop offers on-camera experience, including anchoring and on-camera panel discussions, as well as skills such as broadcast writing, sports reporting and editing, and podcasting.
You’ll have the chance to interview Indiana University athletics staff and athletes, then use your footage to create a story. You’ll also try out the anchor desk in The Media School’s new Beckley Studio.
You’ll learn how to engage with cameras and transition through segments, and you’ll receive feedback from faculty and students at The Media School’s sports media program.
You may take this five-day session as a standalone, or you may combine it with the Reporting and Writing’s sports workshop, offered July 6-10. This workshop is for students who need to learn the basics of sports writing and reporting.
- The 2020 sportscasting workshop is July 12-16.
- Maximum enrollment is 16.
- Cost is $425 for the workshop, which includes a shared room, a $50 meal card, instruction and supervision.
Below is a schedule from the 2019 3-day workshop. An updated schedule for 2020 will be posted soon:
Friday, July 12
- Noon Check in at Spruce Hall
- 1:30 p.m. Orientation Meeting at Franklin Hall
- 2 – 3 p.m. Camera training and broadcasting workshop
- 3 – 5 p.m. Video and interview session at Mark Cuban Center
- 5:30 p.m. Dinner
Saturday, July 13
- 9 – 10 a.m. Script writing workshop
- 10 a.m. – noon Beckley Studio on-camera workshop
- Noon Lunch
- 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. Sports research & composition workshop
- 2:30 – 3 p.m. Audio Editing workshop
- 3 – 3:30 p.m. Video Editing workshop
- 4 – 4:30 p.m. Podcast development workshop
- 4:30 – 6 p.m. Podcast recording
Sunday, July 14
- 9 – 11 a.m. Video Package workshop
- Noon Check out with floor counselor
- See more student workshops.
- Check out awards.
- Read about housing, fees and meals.
- Learn about available scholarships.
- Contact HSJI Administrative Services Coordinator Linda J. Johnson at 812-855-0895 or e-mail her.