Interested in exploring the world of sportscasting? Our workshop offers on-camera experience, including anchoring and on-camera panel discussions, as well as skills such as broadcast writing, sports reporting and editing, and podcasting.
You’ll have the chance to interview Indiana University athletics staff and athletes, then use your footage to create a story. You’ll also try out the anchor desk in The Media School’s Beckley Studio.
You’ll learn how to engage with cameras and transition through segments, and you’ll receive feedback from faculty and students at The Media School’s sports media program.
You may take this five-day session as a standalone, or you may combine it with the Reporting and Writing’s sports workshop, offered July 6-10. This workshop is for students who need to learn the basics of sports writing and reporting.
- The 2020 sportscasting workshop is July 12-16.
- Maximum enrollment is 16.
- Cost is $425 for the workshop, which includes a shared room, a $50 meal card, instruction and supervision.
Typical daily schedule for students in the Sportscasting workshop:
Sunday, July 12
- 3 p.m. Opening session
- 3:30 – 5 p.m. Introductions/get acquainted
- 5 – 6:30 p.m. Dinner
- 7 – 8:30 p.m. Camera training
- 9 p.m. Required meeting with counselors
Monday, July 13
- 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. Shooting and editing video
- 1:30 – 4 p.m. On-camera sessions in TV studio
Tuesday, July 14
- 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. Social media content development
- 1:30 – 4 p.m. Podcasting
Wednesday, July 15
- 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. Athletics and Cuban Center facilities tour
- 1:30 – 4 p.m. Prepare sports segment for TV news show
Thursday, July 16
- 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. Record sports news segment in TV studio
- 11 a.m. – noon Awards program, Willkie Auditorium
- See more student workshops.
- Check out awards.
- Read about housing, fees and meals.
- Learn about available scholarships.
- Contact HSJI Administrative Services Coordinator Linda J. Johnson at 812-855-0895 or e-mail her.