Yearbook staffers and editors of all ability and experience who enroll in one of the yearbook sessions will study theme development, trends in yearbook design and coverage, and explore ways to make their books relevant to their school population. Staffs who enroll together will work to create a “starter kit” for the next school year, including a strong thematic approach, trend-right designs, an organized ladder, and ideas for increasing book sales.
While staffs are encouraged to enroll together to build camaraderie and teamwork, sessions throughout the week are tailored to the individual. Much instruction is one-on-one, both in state-of-the-art classrooms and in the Media School’s desktop publishing lab.
The Adobe suite of software, including InDesign, will be the primary teaching platform for design. Any student wanting to use other design software is encouraged to come to HSJI with up-to-date login information and, if available, technical guides.
2022 Sessions: July 11-15 and July 17-21
Typical Daily Schedule
While no two days are alike, they are designed to give you the best journalistic experience you can have while at IU.
- Day 1
- Noon to 2:30 p.m.: Check in at residence hall
- 3-5 p.m.: Instructional sessions
- 5-7 p.m.: Tour of instructional areas, dinner with floormates and counselors
- 7-9:30 p.m.: Instructional sessions and residence hall orientation
- 11:30 p.m.: Lights out
- Days 2-4
- 8:30-11:30 a.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 1:30-4 p.m.: Large and small group sessions
- 4-5:30 p.m.: Recreational programs led by counselors
- 7-9 p.m.: Enrichment sessions, one-on-one meetings with instructors
- Day 5
- 8:30-10:30 a.m.: Publication Day
- 11 a.m. to noon: Awards ceremony (friends and family welcome)
- Noon: Check out and workshop departure
- See more student workshops.
- Check out awards.
- Read about housing, fees and meals.
- Learn about available scholarships.
- Contact HSJI Administrative Services Coordinator Linda J. Johnson at 812-855-0895 or e-mail her.